The Williams School is seeking someone to drive students to PE at our nearby gym location here in Norfolk and to drive students and teachers to locations throughout Hampton Roads for field trips for all or part of the day. Groups are small with typically 20-45 students who are well-mannered with high expectations for academic, social, and behavioral performance. Teachers serve as bus monitors on all field expeditions.
- The position is responsible for operating and transporting school-aged children and other authorized personnel safely and efficiently to and from schools activities, during the school day (8:10 a.m.-3:00 p.m. and only Mondays through Fridays).
- Conduct a daily pre-trip safety inspection of the vehicle prior to transporting children according to state mandated guidelines.
- Hours per week are negotiable, but never more than 20 hours in one week.
- The position is ideal for a candidate who wants flexibility in scheduling.
- Candidates must be at least 19 years old, hold a valid driver’s license for a minimum of 3 years, have fewer than 4 driver’s license points, no more than one moving violation, not have attended a driver’s improvement clinic within the last 12 months, and submit to fingerprinting and background check.
- Possess a good knowledge of the procedures and federal/state laws governing the safe operation of a school bus.
- General knowledge of the problems involved in operating a school bus; general knowledge of the geography of the area; skill in the safe operation of a school bus; ability to operate the vehicle safely; ability to detect malfunctioning equipment; ability to assist children using patience and understanding; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school officials, parents, associates and students.
- High School Diploma or GED
- A comparable amount of training and experience maybe substituted for the minimum qualifications.
- Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public using the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle or feel objects and controls.
- Frequent sitting, grasping, repetitive motion, reaching, and driving
- Possession of a valid Virginia Commercial Driver’s License
Hourly rate of pay is $14.00